View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 04:06 PM   #189
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Outside Lothlorien: Caranduin and Celegtâl

Celegtâl and Caranduin had toiled most of the morning with the removal of the orc remains, and they now walked with lighter hearts enjoying the warmth of the sun on their faces. Their golden hair glistened with the light and danced with the wind. As they spoke their voices carried on the wind resembling a clear melody played on two flutes in harmony.

“I do wonder where Taitheneb has taken himself,” Caranduin thought aloud as the pair strolled along the southern border of the forest.

“Wherever he went, he managed to escape the morning’s work.” Celegtâl had a noticeable edge to his voice. “He should perform two of our nightly watches…each.”

Caranduin smiled but did not reply. He was all too familiar with Celegtâl’s fiery impatience, and he did not wish to encourage the young ellon. “Do you hear that, Mellon?” Celegtâl halted and turned an ear to the south, while Caranduin knelt near to the ground. “They are hoof beats, no?”

“Yes, six horses.”

“Are you sure? I am unable to tell by their sound. Certainly more than one travels our way.” Caranduin stayed lowered not looking to the horizon.

“Yes, I am sure. Stand up and have look for yourself, if you do not believe me.” The younger elf peered into the distance, shading his eyes from the sun’s glare. Caranduin rose and joined him. Sure enough, six horses with five riders rode toward them.

The pair waited silently as the group neared. Once they were a hundred yards or so from the forest, Caranduin climbed to one of the outposts on the border, while Celegtâl stood firmly in their path.

"Halt! Come no nearer. This realm may not be traveled without leave. Name yourselves!" Celegtâl cried. The group was a curious one. They seemed to be a mismatched company of mortals.

Caranduin fitted his arrow to his bow and aimed for the man that rode in front beside a young girl with a thoughtful face.

Last edited by alaklondewen; 05-08-2004 at 09:12 AM.