View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #3
TheLostPilgrim
Haunting Spirit

TheLostPilgrim has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I have a measure of nostalgic liking for it, as I was very young when I first saw it.

To me, one of the best elements is the character voices. I mean, John Huston is Gandalf.

Also, I may well be in the minority, but I have a soft spot for the music too. Glenn Yarbrough is definitely an acquired taste, but the "Greatest Adventure" song at the beginning, overlaid by the scenes of a nervous Bilbo getting out of bed in the middle of the night to gaze at the moon, works very well.
The entire movie has a sense of innocense that I fear will be lacking in the Hollywood blockbuster to come.
Hollywood has killed innocence. Look at the new "Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters" or "Snow White and the Huntsman" abominations. Not even Fairy Tales are sacred, oh no, every goddamn thing has to have a gritty, dark reboot. Sometimes I feel like the world is going utterly to Hell. I wish there was a version of the Grey Havens to which I could retreat. I am about as resistant to any change as the Elves, and I feel like the little glimmers of innocence and beauty left in the world are being sucked away by the cynics, professional pessimists and those who hate innocent and light hearted things.
TheLostPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote