View Single Post
Old 04-27-2004, 02:58 PM   #10
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't think you could define a 'true fan', you are whatever you think you are - if you see what I mean?

Now to be a Tolkien fan, then I would say you should have read some Tolkien, being a Lord of the Rings fan might be different, but all the same you couldn't be a fan of the film without actually having seen the film, could you? I do know a lot of people who have 'only' seen the films but are quite happy and able to have a sensible Tolkien discussion. I'd say you just have to love it!

What makes me a fan? I'd say the number one thing is that Lord of The Rings has been my favourite book for over 20 years despite being a voracious reader and having taken an English degree (Tolkien not being approved of by University literature types, in my experience). They failed to beat it out of me with their critical theory!

What else? I've got two copies of LOTR - both battered. I've got a lot of film merchandise, because I like it, and I can bore the pants off people - I was allegedly clocked the other day at work as spending a whole day having conversations about nothing but Tolkien. Heh.

I didn't name any pets after characters but I did apply for Oxford to follow in Tolkien's footsteps.

The more fans the better anyway - gives me more people to talk to about the best subject in the world! Ever!
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote