View Single Post
Old 06-29-2004, 12:03 PM   #28
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Mae Govannen Mellyn nin! Elen sila lumenn omentielmo!
I must say that Meela has captured true fandom the best so far... anyone that truly loves LOTR is a fan. I, for one, consider myself an expert, and I might be what some call obsessed. I love LOTR, and It has actually helped me in times of need. I have and have read every middle earth-related book i can find, and all of Tolkien's books. I even have 4 three inch binders filled with LOTR material I found online, in magazines, and photocopied out of different sources. one of them is filled to it's capacity with elvish. I have bought all the elven rings, the ring of Barahir, and the one ring. I also have two swords, Sting and Anduril.
But I don't feel I am going overboard, because I appreciate every item I receive. I know very much about Lord of the Rings, but even if I didn't, I would still be a fan. And lack of money has never held me back, when I was little, I took a piece of yellow paper and drew elvish writing of the on it, then rolled it up into the one ring, and I would wear it all the time.

I agree about the whole, "drooling" issue. I hate seeing people that say, "Oh, I love Lord of the Rings because Orlando Bloom is in it!" Then they fill everything with pics of him, and call it LOTR.
But I do think that every major fan should be called, "odd" "weird" or "obsessed" at least once for their love of LOTR. They should also know at least 2 words of elvish.
I am a fan because of my love of Lord of the Rings, not my knowledge of it (even though it is a huge bonus), or my amount of merchandise.
Namaarie! Aa lasser en lle coia orn 'n omenta gurtha!
-Iorhael Lolindir Ancalime I Taur