View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #11
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
In the new book on The Hobbit, in note 14 to The Bladorthin Typescript Rateliff notes (concerning the art for a poster map by P. Baynes)...

Quote:
'... In addition to ten vignettes on the map itself, Baynes added a headpiece at top showing all nine members of the Fellowship of the Ring (plus Bill the pony) and a tailpiece at bottom showing the Black Riders, Gollum, Shelob, and a horde of orcs. Although Tolkien greatly admired Baynes' work on the whole, he disliked this particular piece so much that, in addition to writing this essay he had the top and bottom cropped off the original painting when he had it framed for presentation to his longtime secretary, Joy Hill (personal communication, May 1987).'
The essay referred to (circa 1970) is said to be in response to seeing Pauline Baynes' art for the poster map. In this chapter Rateliff published those comments concerning Gandalf, implying to my mind that there is more to the essay, which is at the Bodleian Library.

I may be wrong (I would need a look at a better reproduction to check it out), but so far it almost looks to me as if P. Baynes has (possibly) put the hair of the Hobbit's feet on the bottom (of the feet). Anyone?
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote