View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 11:42 PM   #46
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
*The Dark Elf bows to Bęthberry*

Hmmm...I would think that Peter Jackson has little interest in presenting The Hobbit as strictly a 'children's tale'. From what I could garner from the prelease information regarding the two movies that will be produced, one is The Hobbit and the other a prequel to LOTR. This indicates to me more of a continuing saga comprising 5 films; thus the necessity for conceptual continuity (if I may borrow a Frank Zappa phrase). If I am wrong regarding my understanding of the project, please direct me to a link that states otherwise.

I am not saying that a continuing saga concept in which The Hobbit is rendered in a more adult fashion (a la LOTR) is right or wrong; rather, that seems to be the general direction of the production. Therefore, my suggestion for Gilliam, who I think has the ability to direct movies with a fairy tale/fantasy ambiance that could embody the delightful childlike innocence of TH, yet with a more adult undercurrent stirring the dark waters of Mirkwood.
*Bethberry returns the bow to the Dark Elf*

You are right that Gilliam can capture whimsy and darkness. Yet I keep thinking of the naughty bits in The Brothers Grimm and wonder how much delight in that comedic touch would seep into a hobbit movie, willy-nilly almost. And he definitely leans towards ironic black comedy which is not how I would characterise Tolkien's humour. (Come to think of it, have we had any threads on Tolkien's humour?) Yet I could well be slighting Gilliam as his work does show a range of styles.

Sadly, though, Warner Brothers refused to consider him for the Harry Potter films, didn't they, even though Rowlings wanted him? And doesn't Warner now own New Line? Would that not bode well for him?