View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 10:24 AM   #48
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
I would much prefer Gilliam's sense of humor to Tim Burton's (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory makes me cringe -- a horrid adaptation -- I like the first movie version with Gene Wilder), and I am unconvinced Del Torro has a sense of humor. But you are right, a thread defining Tolkien's humor is a great idea (as Treebeard opined, "There are Ents and Ents, you know; or there are Ents and there are things that look like Ents but ain’t, as you might say.").
What I would like to see in one of these many interviews with DelToro is a sign that he has read Tolkien's essay on fantasy, On Fairie Stories and can thoughtfully comment on Tolkien's ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
In the end, it will probably be a director no one will agree on, and since Phillipa Boyens will write the script, be assured the movie itself will be as outrageous as LOTR in its rendering of the source material. Let's see, we can have Angelina Jolie as Bilbo's love interest (one can't make a Hollywood movie without a pronounced romance, right?), and Orlando Bloom will be Thranduil in this one (because, after all, he is Orlando Bloom), and if Tim Burton directs we'll have Johnny Depp as Smaug. Bah.
Oh--the Brothers Cohen. Now there are two none would agree on. And as for romance, in Part Deux I'm sure something could be arranged for Galadriel at the White Council--perhaps it's a tempation to stray which could cloud her focus and vision and make her unable to see Saruman for his true intentions. Or, hey . . .