View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 04:00 AM   #232
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Vanwe

So much had passed since the arrival of her father that Vanwe found herself both physically and mentally drained, a thousand questions played in her mind, and she struggled to find some semblance in which she could begin to put words to the conflicting and confusing thoughts running through her mind. Her fathers firm but gentle hands drew her from the confusion of her tired mind and she held his gaze with a little intrepidation as he looked long and searchingly into hers. a little fear surfaced as she saw the years of pain and despair held within his sapphire eyes, but she could not look away, her heart feeling impassioned to her fathers grief, only he would understand the depths with which her mothers lies tore into her heart. She followed her fathers eyes as he glanced at the others gathered in her small cell, wondering what part they each played the sorry events of past and present that some how encapsulated her family. Then she listened as her father spoke.

“Neither you or Naiore Dannan can free me, nor Lords Elladan or Elrohir; I no longer hold hope of it.”

A deep sadness glistened in the blue of her eyes, though she did not fully understand the depths of his words, the despair in his words ached at her heart. His rich voice suddenly took a hard fierce edge, which frightened her a little.

“But mark my words daughter; though you are here in this cage now, you are free. Do you understand? - You must resist, you have to resist…”

She looked longingly into his eyes for more, what did he mean resist! Resist what, her mother, her captors! She shook her head regretfully; she did not understand so many questions yet remained unanswered. Her confusion must have shown on her face, for her fathers features softened and he stroked her hair gently, she closed her eyes accepting his comfort, no, needing it. However, as her fathers hand drew away her eyes opened, and she saw him rise and turn away, confused she turned to the only other face in the room that knew.

“This is hard for him also, not till this day did he know that he had a daughter, and to find that Naiore would keep this from him, then send his daughter to bring him to her is a bitter pill to swallow.” Lespheria whispered as she put a comforting arm about her shoulders. A new guilt crossed Vanwe’s mind, had her mother used her solely to torment her father?

“You are exhausted it has been a long night perhaps….” her elven friend started to say, but she stopped her, “there are still question that I need …” she began.

“Shhhhhh, I promise, that if I hold the answers to the question you need answered I will give them to you willingly, but first you must rest it has been a long night… for all of us.” Lespheria said turning her head to indicate her father and the tired slump of his broad shoulders; she was just about to nod her agreement when her father again spoke.

“We must resist,” he muttered without turning. “I promise you I will not loose you Vanwe, though I myself am lost.”

Vanwe slowly rose and walked towards the turned back of her father, now understanding that he spoke of her mother and her compulsions, so much pain was there in his words that she felt the need to go to him. Putting her hand on his shoulder, he turned. She simply nodded, needing no words to rely that she understood some if not all his words, though in her heart she prayed that some day he would find some semblance of peace, for she refused to give in to the conception that she was to find her parents only to realise that they were already lost to her.

The hushed voices of the other elves drew her and Menecin’s attention, it looked to Vanwe that they were quietly debating something, seeing her gaze one of the two lords stepped forward, inclining his head in simple greeting.

“I do not believe we have been properly introduced, my name is Elohir and this is my brother Elladan we are the lords of this house,” the elf lord said indication his brother and the house they where in.

“We ask that you forgive us our mistake and allow us to make amends by inviting you to be our guest?” Elladan continued coming to his brother’s side. Vanwe was slightly taken aback, so used was she to her captors sending her swiftly on her way after learning their mistake. She nodded her head in way of thanks, not sure what to say, but knowing that she would like get to know her father a little better if she could.

“Very good then it is settled, Lady Léspheria will show you to one of the guest rooms so you can refresh and rest if that is your want,” Elladan smiled warmly.

“Our home is your home for as long as you chose to remain with us.” Elohir added graciously, and then turning to Menecin, he informed the bard that his cottage was being attended and that he too would have to take a guest room until the damage was repaired, the bard said nothing but nodded his understanding. Then Léspheria stepped forward and offered to show them to their rooms.

Vanwe followed beside her father as Léspheria lead them through the ornate hallways and up the wooden stairway, Vanwe could only look in awe at the depictions of great battles and historic events that covered the walls. Lespheria named a few but would not go into much detail, saying only that those stories were better heard in the hall of fire, narrated by storytellers or sung by the bards. Finally, Léspheria stopped them in front of an intricately carved wooden door.

“This will be your room,” Léspheria told her, opening the door and gesturing for them both to enter, and as she looked around, she heard Léspheria indicate to a door that led to an adjoining room that was to be her fathers until his cottage was repaired.

Léspheria then excused herself, “I am sure you have much to talk about, I will just be down the hall fourth door to your left should you need anything.”

“Léspheria…I… “She began undecided weather she wished to ask the elf’s part in this or to thank her for her help. However, Léspheria just smiled and nodded that she understood, promising that they would speak more once they were all rested.

Now alone in the room with her father, she was not sure what to do or say. He stood at the open balcony window looking out over the gardens of Imladris, she hesitantly walked up beside him there were a few questions that came to mind but the pain she had seen in his eyes made her hesitate, but she knew only he could answer her questions. So standing on the balcony of the guest room of the last homely house looking out over the calm serenity of Imladris, with her father at her side she hesitantly asked her question.

“What was she like? …I mean she wasn’t always the way she is now… was she?”