View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 09:22 AM   #61
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I have nothing like the stamina to deliver an oration on the subject, but I fear Squatter's on the whole wise and conciliatory post makes the mistake of a bit of pigeonholing towards the end.

I do not regard the statement I signed as a "campaign", nor, certainly, as an "off-site attack on the moderating team", and as for "undermining the authority of those responsible for the running of the site", I regret to say that I think that is venturing upon insult.

That letter was extremely carefully, consideratedly couched expression of regret, unease and malaise. I didn't write a word of it, but I wish I had done; a masterpiece of articulacy. It was an attack on nobody, only a request for a conversation which I think is even now proving healthy.

If the authority of those responsible for the running of the site really is undermined by this refreshing breeze, then it is an authority I have little enthusiasm to support.

On the other hand, it is good to know that fears about the Slough parody instigating davem's ban were unfounded.

That we are surer about such things is a result of that community statement, and in that case it is not a matter of undermining authority, but demystifying and restoring confidence. It is to bolster such confidence and, er, general well-being, that this chat should continue.