View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 AM   #333
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
Groin, that was quite a post! Good storytelling.
Thanks LMP, I'm glad that you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
One thing I wonder about though - how lucky does a good hunter have to be to hit deer in the heart with an arrow first try, and only have to use one arrow to bring a deer down? I can imagine a deer getting hit once, in the chest even, getting one lung pierced, and still running away though perhaps not so fast. Just wondering.
To it a deer in the heart is a challenging shot to make, but you don't just need to hit him there, if you pierce any of his two lungs with an arrow the animal is as good as dead. Yes, I have seen deer run away with my arrow in their chest, usually because the arrow didn't penetrate deeply enough. That's why I had the hunters unusually close to the deer. Lithor was riding right beside them, the Gondorians where only a few yards away from them (plus they had long bows), and Erbrand pulled his bow all the way back to his chin/cheek while most hunters draw it back to their chest.

So yes, killing a deer is a difficult job, but I tried to give the characters all the advantage that I could. I hope that helps, LMP.