View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 02:30 AM   #27
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil View Post
Balrogs *don't* have wings--such has always been my take, so I shall put that here just in case the old coal still has enough fire to kindle some reaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bridge of Khazad-dûm
What it was could not be seen: it was like a great shadow, in the middle of which was a dark form, of man-shape maybe, yet greater; and a power and terror seemed to be in it and to go before it.

It came to the edge of the fire and the light faded as if a cloud had bent over it. Then with a rush it leaped across the fissure. The flames roared up to greet it, and wreathed about it; and a black smoke swirled in the air. Its streaming mane kindled, and blazed behind it.
The Balrog of LotR is, as described by Aragorn, 'both a shadow and a flame'. It's actually interesting to reflect on the difference between this and the Fall of Gondolin version, which is very obviously a corporeal soldier - here, I don't think it's necessarily true that the Balrog has a single physical 'body' at all. It is Shadow, only vaguely condensed into man-shape; when it passes over the fire, it becomes Flame and Shadow both.

With that in mind, the question of whether it has wings is trivial to answer: yes, it does, Tolkien tells us so directly.

Quote:
...the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings.
The wings are of Shadow, just as the mane is of Flame. You wouldn't deny that the Balrog has a mane, even though it's obviously not hair (which would burn away): it is animate fire. Well, the wings are of animate shadow (they must be animate - shadows don't spread out naturally!).

As to whether Balrogs always have wings... well, that's a very different question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Speaking of the Book of Mazarbul, I've always wondered what became of it. Given all the misfortunes and trials of the Fellowship, starting with the mad run sans supplies from Tol Brandir, it would be a wonder if it would still be brought to Dain intact. In fact Gimli carried with him two treasures - the book and Galadriel's lock. Of the two, the lock is much easier to carry in its small box; the book seemed to me quite a heavy volume. Did Gimli bring it with him on the chase and in future battles? Was it left with the rest of the supplies, hidden near Tol Brandir? Did it ever reach Dain?
You know, I never really remembered that Gimli took the Book with him. Thanks, both of you, for reminding me! Yet another puzzle to puzzle over...

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote