Thread: Of Maeglin
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2023, 10:40 AM   #8
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Following from my post about Eol's heritage in another forum - is the following excerpt about Eol being one of those Teleri that stopped at the sight of the Misty Mountains (i.e. the Nandor) contradictory to Tolkien's later note to that passage and Eol's implied kinship with Thingol?

I'll give the text here:

Quote:
To the passage "But Eöl... was no Dwarf, but a tall Elf of a high kin of the Teleri" my father wrote on the manuscript A (only) a note beginning with the words "Not in revision" - which probably means that what follows is not in the corrections made to the copies of the typescript ('the revision'). In this note my father was copying a very faint and illegible form of it on the same page, and trying to interpret his own writing; I give it exactly as it stands:

"Eöl should not be one of Thingol's kin, but one of the Teleri who refused to cross the Hithaeglir. But [later] he and a few others of like mood, averse to concourse of people, ... [had] crossed the [Mts] long ago and come to Beleriand."

Against this note he wrote "but the relationship to Thingol would have point", and the date 1971.
- The War of the Jewels, 'Maeglin', §9, p. 322
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote