View Single Post
Old 08-30-2003, 09:50 AM   #74
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Eruwen watched carefully as an arrow was shot into a tree on the other side of the river. She had well overcome the poison of the spiders, but she didn’t feel like talking or making herself known to the others in the group. She continued to gaze out into the rapid waters as Arië made it across the river, as did many others afterwards. Eventually Eruwen was told to go, and she began to make her way to the so-called “bridge” that she would cross.

As Eruwen placed one foot onto the bridge, she once again looked down into the water. Taking a deep breath, she stepped up with the other foot and began to run across as fast, and as carefully, as she could. Every step that the Elf took made her think back on the fear she had when the spiders had captured her and the few members of the company. Suddenly her own words came back into her mind again.

“If we stay here, then whatever’s out there will eventually find us and attack us without warning. But if we go, then there is the risk of everyone getting lost and maybe even dead. So either way, we’re done for.”

The “getting lost” part had already somewhat taken place, except they were all found again. The last part of her words was what was making her fearful again. Soon Eruwen stepped off the bridge and onto the ground once again. She found herself a place by a nearby tree and sat down with her arms propped up upon her knees and her face buried in her hands.

Why did I have to say that? She thought to herself. Not only did I bring myself down but also probably others in the company as well. And although it is me who is dwelling on this statement, how do I know that no one else has thought about it also? I just hope that I’m not right anymore. Getting lost for that brief time was bad enough, but losing someone for good would be horrible! Oh, Eru, just don’t let my foolish words come true!

Eruwen stood once again to join the members of her company as they each crossed the river. She stood silent towards the back waiting for another command.