View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 01:51 PM   #160
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Númenor
My tendency is to do the same, but the problem is that the beliefs which motivate the protagonists are entirely un-compelling without Deity. It becomes a book about bodily functions - still beautiful though.
I don't find that. Faith is moving in & of itself - whatever one places one's faith in it will inevitably be something bigger than oneself.* Frodo never expresses any belief in a deity. He simply does what he does for those he loves (someone has to give up the things they care about in order that others may keep them) That seems to be his only motivation. Hence, he is very much a hero for the secular 20th century. I relate to him much more strongly than I do to the believers who act out of their faith in 'Higher' things. Look the Dragon in the eye, & do what's right because its right, even if there's nothing beyond our 'bodily functions'.

*Remember Serenity: Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: "ah, h*ll shepherd, I ain't looking for help from on high..."
Shepherd Book: "Why when I talk about faith do you always assume I'm talking about god? "

Last edited by davem; 01-24-2007 at 01:59 PM.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote