View Single Post
Old 04-24-2007, 01:29 PM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
After reading The Children of Húrin I think we need to change some further bits in our version of the Narn. I am on the way to produce a draft for the possible changes. But one of them is of a general kind and should be discussed here.

From The Children of Húrin; Appendix 2: The Composition of the Text:
Quote:
This is a convenient point to notice that I have omitted from the text two passages that I included in the Unfinished Tales but which are parenthetical to the narrative: these are the history of how the Dragon-helm came into the possession of Hador of Dor-lómin (Unfinished Tales, p. 75), and the origin of Saeros [Unfinished Tales, p.77). It seems, incidentally, certain from a closer understanding of the relations of the manuscript that my father rejected the name Saeros and replaced it by Orgol, which by 'linguistic accident' coincides with Old English orgol, orgel 'pride'. But it seems to me too late now to remove Saeros.
This quote is telling in many ways. But that is not the point here. Since we obviously do not feel that is to late for any change, I think we should repalce Saeros by Orgol.

The second passage refered to by Christopher Tolkien as left out from the Narn is this:
Quote:
Yet there was one that begrudged him this, and ever the more as Túrin drew nearer to manhood: Saeros, son of Ithilbor was his name.{ 8} He was of the Nandor, being one of those who took refuge in Doriath after the fall of their lord Denethor upon Amon Ereb, in the first battle of Beleriand. These Elves dwelt for the most part in Arthórien, between Aros and Celon in the east of Doriath, wandering at times over Celon into the wild lands beyond; and they were no friends to the Edain since their passage through Ossiriand and settlement in Estolad. But Saeros dwelt mostly in Menegroth, and won the esteem of the king; and he was proud, dealing haughtily with those whom he deemed of lesser state and worth than himself.
In The Children of Húrin this becomes:
Quote:
Yet there was one that begrudged him this, and ever the more as Túrin drew nearer to manhood: Saeros was his name. He was proud, dealing haughtily with those whom he deemed of lesser state and worth than himself.
Does any body see any good reason why we should skip that passages if we change Saeros to Orgol?

Also I think we will includ the passage about the history of the Dragon-helm.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote