View Single Post
Old 04-04-2004, 07:26 AM   #11
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Aethelwine, I have an opinion, and it's simply that I think a 'musical' version of LOTR would be awful!

I'm not a big fan of musicals as I find them ever so slightly cheesy, I am already thinking of all that dreadful soft rock/Cliff Richard/Andrew Lloyd Webber rubbish with people in leg warmers throwing themselves around on a stage. They did a musical a few years ago of one of the finest British films made, Whistle Down The Wind, and it was completely embarrassing, so I've had this thing about hating musicals created from pre-exisiting works ever since.

I could bet on it that they won't use the Donald Swann/JRR Tolkien song cycle already written. I have visions now of Aragorn in a mullet singing soft rock love songs in the mode of Bon Jovi to Arwen, who would be one of the British 'singing TV stars', like Claire Sweeney or Denise Van Outen or something. And the hobbits would be little stage school kids with Home Counties accents and perfect enunciation. No. Take it away!

It might just be my deep dislike of musicals but in my humble opinion, I shall approach with extreme caution if not run the other way.
Lalwendė is offline   Reply With Quote