View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #484
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
During the Gandalf-Barlog fight on the bridge, it clearly says that Barlog tried to close its wings over Gandalf's head, but was not able to. This is written proof that barlogs have wings.
Ah, if it were that clear-cut this debate would have been over long ago.

I assume you're referring to this quote:

Quote:
[The Balrog] stepped forward slowly on to the bridge, and suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall....
The Bridge of Khazad-Dűm

That in itself might seem rather straightforward, but a couple of paragraphs before we have this line:

Quote:
[Gandalf's] enemy halted again, facing him, and the shadow about it reached out like two vast wings.
The fact that it says there "like two vast wings" leaves open the interpretation that the shadows gave the Balrog the appearance of possessing wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
My explanation to this is the wings are more of a metaphore for willpower of darkness. The fight between Barly and Gandy was more of a competition of whose will is stronger. This means that since Barly was not able to close darkness over Gandy, Gandy had more power and a stronger will at the moment. That is why Barly was required to use physical force - simply the power of his will and thought was not enough.
That's an interesting way to view it. To me, it would seem a bit odd for Tolkien to have chosen that means of metaphor, though. Interestingly, the two had already had a "match of wills" you could say, involving the door Gandalf had locked with his power. The Balrog actually succeeded in causing the door to open in spite of Gandalf's spell. Gandalf's word of Command did not necessarily defeat the Balrog's counter-spell; it merely caused the chamber's roof to collapse.

And by the way, welcome to the Downs!