View Single Post
Old 03-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #28
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
A few points of disagreement, though I think I share something of your general assessment.

Bree was settled BEFORE Arnor, pretty darn sure. Like Bombadil.

The Dunlendings were a group in direct descent from the original edian of the region, according to UT were subject to deforestation and other forms of tyrannical behaviour from the Numenoreans, and during the Black Years when Sauron was in Numenor it was probably as bad as we can imagine.

THEN the Rohirrim came and could only have made matters worse. In all of JRRT's communites we see long racial memories. The anger at the 'strawheads' was visible becuase Saruman had stoked it, but UT and I think 'rivers and beacon hills of Gondor' make plain the animosity towards Numenorean abuses.

True it is speculation, not sure there is any danger though.

Someone left the town, it was a strangely situated between many other communites, Fisherfolk on the coast [pretty sure they were Druedain, but need to check UT], the secret dwelling upstream of Tharbad of the chieftans, and Rivendell further up than that, which does make a natural passage of sorts. The Dunedain, would have been there at least as much as they were in Bree.

So I guess where we may agree is that there were locals who were of dunlendish/breesih type extraction who may or may have not been more or less native to tharbad. If they existed they are never mentioned. All other groups are.

It does make sense that as Cardolan [and later the chieftans/rangers] dwindled they would coalesce around what was left. Tharbad was left till Bilbo's youth, and the secret dwelling 150 miles or so from Rivendell and 150 from Tharbad was left., and it was the South 'border' of the Rangers patrol zone...all else is speculative...
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote