View Single Post
Old 07-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #13
Marwhini
Wight

Marwhini has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Yes, this was the only one that suited me. And I know I have been treeish but until the last ailment ridden and bookless year I have been fairly constant. I dabbled a bit at the Plaza but only made one post that was acknowledged. I may have been unlucky but it seemed dominated by a couple of strong personalities who seemed to regard others' posts in two categories: - correct but unoriginal (ie they had already said it in such a thread whenever , - just plain wrong. I didn't last long.

So welcome. And I hope you fine a little to interest you here. I may even go and start a thread.
I have noticed that about the Plaza as well. There seems to be one character who has a rather significant bias that he pushes against all evidence to the contrary.

I noticed he was denigrating other members for trying to explain the various characters, objects, or events in Middle-earth in some Operational fashion by constantly denigrating Tolkien's work itself as "Just Fiction" or "It's MAGIC" (as if that is an explanation).

He seems to not understand at all Tolkien's motivations or beliefs involved in the building of Middle-earth.

And the "evidence" he usually offers to support his opinions aren't from either Primary or Secondary Sources (Tolkien directly, or The History of Middle-earth), or even from Tertiary Sources of Tolkien Experts and Authorities.... But rather from a lot of Fan-Fic Blogs with hair-brained conspiracy theories regarding Middle-earth.

I see a few reasonable, and rather dedicated fans and scholars of Tolkien there.... But the couple of dominant personalities, coupled with the "point" system, and the "Experts" forum tends to create a poorly-considered dynamic where some people dominate the Forum at the expense of valid or sound opinions of others.

MB
Marwhini is offline   Reply With Quote