View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
So do you enjoy Anke Eissmann's artwork more than Tolkien's, Skip? (old reference there-- )
Won't forgive me for that, eh?

I do enjoy Eissmann's work though (and yes I do think she is a more adapt illustrator than Tolkien was) at least most of what I've seen. I suppose the facial features and expression are a bit hit and miss for me though, sometimes they are spot on (like here with Daeron, I agree) other times they don't really work for me. Obviously that is very subjective, what works great for me may be off for someone else and vice versa.

Can't help to throw in a defensive speech for Daeron though. While I understand why you dislike him, and he certainly acts like a jerk, we should not forget that he (this is how I read him anyway) is also a very tragic character. I mean, for millennia he has poured his soul into wonderful inventions like the Runes and becoming the greatest musician ever to live among the Elves, no doubt in the vain hope that she would finally fall in love with him like he is in love with her, as he has been in love with her as long as he can remember. But she, she just sees him as a good friend (can't you just imagine her saying "you're just like a brother to me", and smiling sunnily? You know, he nods concealing his bitterness).

Then enters a shabby mortal man, an trespasser at that, and immediately she falls head over heels in love with this new rival. I think it is very understandable that he lets his jealousy and bitterness overcome him a bit... I mean, ouch, that's gotta hurt!

Last edited by skip spence; 05-16-2010 at 03:47 PM.
skip spence is offline   Reply With Quote