View Single Post
Old 01-01-2002, 09:55 AM   #20
Yaish
Pile O'Bones

Yaish has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yaish
Sting

Hmm... I need to check up on something else here too, but a few thoughts.

Frodo was the ring'bearer' as mentioned. He was the vessel that was used to get it there, as no other could. He was the magnetic bottle so to speak, holding anti-matter. As a ringbearer Frodo did an admirable job, even after he was wounded by a nazgul's blade (compounding his connection to the ring,sauron, and the shadow world). He was able to get the ring entirely there, yet to act was not his job. Surely if he could cast the ring into the fire all well and good, but even Gandalf knew he couldnt do that.

Now here is what I need to look up. Did Frodo know Gollum was in the chamber with them when he claimed the ring?
Here is my reasoning. Frodo cannot destroy the ring while he bears it, because its hold on him is too strong. He also cannot allow the ring to be taken from him both due to its influence and his role as the ringbearer. However, if he claims the ring he knows Gollum must try to retreive it, as Gollum cant stand for another to be the rings 'master' (While he is just the bearer he does not have any more claim to the ring than Gollum, thus Gollum cant bide his time)
Perhaps Frodo knew that by forcing Gollum to act he could be relieved of the ring, and as he couldnt allow it to be possessed by another any more than Gollum could, he would be free to act, the ring wrested from him. Had Gollum not fallen into the fires himself its possible that Sam could have cast both him and the ring to their doom (While Sam would never have harmed Frodo)

Ok, so its ascribing a leap of unfounded logic on Frodos part, but it makes some sense.
Yaish is offline   Reply With Quote