View Single Post
Old 05-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #329
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eodwine remembered when he had been in such a position as Gárwine was in, before him, now. He sympathized.

"Pray judge me fairly, lord."

Eodwine did not leave the poor fellow in suspense longer than a moment.

"Gárwine, you have been a good man at arms for my mead hall. I have no complaints. Far from it! You have served me well and diligently. So Marenil has told me. He is most grateful for your aid while I was away. If you will stay with me, I will call you my man for a year and a day, as custom dictates. As that custom further dictates, after that year and a day have come and gone, you and I will sit together and decide once and for all if you will be my man for life. Until then, you shall be my man at arms, and shall rank just below Thornden as more men at arms come to the Eorling Mead Hall. Will you be my man for a year and a day?"

Gárwine's eyes shone with his pleasure at the good review. "I will, lord! I am honored!"

Eodwine smiled. "The day I have devised an ensign for my standing as Eorl, you shall wear it. Stand down of your good will, Gárwine, and be pleased to return to your post."

"With pleasure, lord!" Gárwine bowed and sauntered spiritedly to his position at the Eorling Mead Hall door.

"Next," said Eodwine, I call Kara!"

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-27-2006 at 11:04 PM.