View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #227
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
I don't think the age at which Earendil and Elwing married and had children tells us anything.

On the one hand, it doesn't have to mean they were maturing *slower* than garden-variety mortals- marriage customs, life expectancy and so forth should not be confused with the actual biological clock. Perhaps they'd just waited so as not to scandalise their Elvish relatives...

-On the other hand, it makes them "eleven" only if you assume that the version in "Laws and Customs" was what Tolkien had in mind when he was writing Earendil and Elwing's history (or, for that matter, Dior's). The question, then is- do we have any good reason to believe this is the case? (I'm not at all sure Sador's words do count as "corroboration", since he gives no specifics.)

EDIT: in case of misunderstanding, "eleven" refers to age and is not a typo for "elven"!

Last edited by Nerwen; 03-25-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Something that just occurred to me...
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote