View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 06:09 PM   #145
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

Quote:
I'm sure all UK Downers of a certain age will fondly remember Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and the rather confusing (boy or girl?) Tripitaka.
Yup. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Afte reading LotR (age 10) I was desperate to read more. I tried the Silmarillion, but found it hard going and gave up (I have recently rectified that omission). So I moved on to as many other fantasy authors as I could find to quench my thirst for the genre. Unfortunately, I do not recall coming across anything to rival LotR. However I do recall greatly enjoying Robert E Howard's Conan books and Michael Moorcock's Prince Corum series. I also have fond memories of Anne McCaffrey's Pern series. On the other hand, I gave up very early on with Terry Brooks' Shannarah books, which I recall thinking of as very pale imitations of LotR. This is all some time ago now, so my memories of all of these books are pretty dim.

Quote:
... a long time favourite of mine was the fantastic Douglas Adams (now sadly missed) who wrote the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and others
Amen to that. I would recommend the books to anyone and the TV adaptation was great too (and still frequently repeated on UK Gold type channels). An earlier post on this thread referred to Dirk Gently and his holistic detective agancy. Did Adams only write one of these books, or were there more? In any event, Dirk Gently is certainly a character that I am glad to be reminded of.

For now, however, there is certainly more than enough Tolkien to be catching up on ... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]