View Single Post
Old 10-23-2003, 05:00 AM   #115
Nerindel
Spirited Weaver of Fates

Nerindel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nerindel Send a message via MSN to Nerindel Send a message via Yahoo to Nerindel
Sting

Nerindel's post - Toby Longholes

It was not part of Toby's plan that he would enter the farmhouse with the rangers, he thought that leading them to the house would be dangerous enough, but as The older ranger pulled him towards the house he tried to pull free, "Now wait just a minute I agreed to show you Barrold's house and now I have!" he cried angrily.

"And we're just supposed to take your word for that, eh" Rauthain laughed "Come on, master Longholes," he said pushing the hobbit forwards.

As the ranger pulled him to the rear of the building, he found himself nervously casting his gaze over every dark corner and brush, as if at any moment Barrold would jump out and throttle him for his treachery. Entering the house an finding no one home did not to elevate the fear and doubt swelling in his mind, Toby tensed at every screech and creek the old house made as they passed through, his mind envisioning the numerous ways which Barrold would think of to repay him his treachery. It took all the will power he could muster not to cry out and run like a frightened colt from the house there and then.

"Think Toby!" he muttered under his breath, "he's not here but he soon might be, so as soon as these rangers are distracted you can get yourself out of here!" he grinned looking at Rauthain's hunched back as he knelt on the kitchen floor to examine something, as the ranger examined the floor Toby quietly inched back towards the door, but froze as the other ranger called down the stairs that he had found nothing. He reminded quiet as Amandur joined Rauthain to look at what ever the older ranger had found.

His chance finally came when the elf woman called to the two rangers, who in their haste had forgotten about all about Toby, but this suited him fine, the minute the rangers were gone he stealthily stole himself from the house and ran up a forgotten dirt path that lead to the road at the rear of the farm, careful to make sure no one had seen him leave, he didn't stop running until he reached the base of the hill.

Toby sighed with relief and began to climb the hill to his small hobbit hole, then changed his mind, 'what if someone had seen him, what if they told Barrold!' he panicked. "The Cave, The Shire," he reminded himself, then grinning at his cleverness he headed for the small cave where he hides his bounty and supplies should he need them. "Yes, I will get supplies and use the grace of the king to lie low for a while, " he chuckled.

As he approached the small dark cave he reached his hand into his pocket and pulled out a medium, rather worn looking leather money pouch, then grinning with satisfaction he tossed it in the air and caught it, "I wish I could see the look on that rangers face when he realises this is gone!" he chuckled pleased at himself. It had been all to easy to unclasp the pouch from the rangers belt as they rode together and the fact that the rangers thought were elsewhere only added to the ease. "Serves him right!" Toby laughed. Then taking a quick look about him to see that no one was watching, he entered the cave.

Hilde's post - Rauthain

When Rauthain had rushed in, the air in the kitchen hung hot, thickly reeking of mold and rancid fat. Pulling his sword from its scabbard he fixed his eye on the hobbit who remained on the doorstep. Toby noticing the grey-eyed ranger glaring at him in silence, became acutely conscious of his resemblance to a hawk prepared to strike, and reluctantly stepped just inside the threshold. “Stay here until I return.” Rauthain said, before leaving to thoroughly search the other rooms at the back of the house. When he once again entered he saw Toby still hanging by the door casting furtive glances toward the trees at the foot of Bree Hill. He seemed obviously distressed by Barrold’s absence and his proud demeanor had melted into a kind of smug excitability Rauthain found patently irritating under the circumstances. The hobbit seemed like a taut bowstring, with no telling where his barbs were aimed.

Dropping his gaze to study the floor, the ranger saw familiar tracks mingled with his own: the foot of Naiore, and those of the man who had loosed the horse, Barrold. Another recent set was there that he did not recognize, a man’s. “Look,” he began as he heard Amandur descend the stair and approach from the hallway. “One light elf, one heavy footed man, and another man.” He said gesting to each one in turn. “This is Barrold’s, the same as at The Greenway, with the gelding’s marks.”

Amandur stood awhile in thought. “But why would they need to carry her?” he mused aloud. Rauthain guessed of whom he spoke, also wondering that there was no other evidence of the daughter to be found. Then recalling the bit of wax found in The Chetwood he began to understand what might have happened to Vanwe. But how did this other man bear on the plan? He need not have been involved in Barrold’s exploits, Rauthain thought to himself, but is perhaps an only some caller ignorant of the weight of Ferny’s entanglement.

“Amandur! Rauthain!” a woman’s voice hailed them. The two rangers looked up at each other, it was Léspheria, calling from the yard. Without delay they and strode quickly over to the thorny brush where a small door opened in the earth. Just inside Léspheria stood brushing the dust from her clothes, her sword lying upon the ground.

“Vanwe was in here and sometime this morning she was carried away by two men. Their trail leads back toward the road.” Picking up the sword, she sheathed it while speaking.

The earthen cellar was musty, and Rauthain found it hard to breathe as he stooped to see the ground. Though the dirt was soft and fine, very little was there to discover beyond a curled imprint at the elf’s feet. Vanwe, if she had indeed been there, had not
stirred much from her resting place. The ranger rose anxious to check the trail that Léspheria had found leading to the road. And as he passed through into the yard again, he heard the elf threaten harm to those that would arm Vanwe and then Amandur’s whisper soft and short behind him.

The prints once found, proved to be that of Barrold and the second man. Still they bore a burden, Vanwe no doubt. But the mark of a lighter foot was not to be seen. Rauthain was troubled. A decision needed to be made and he feared he knew which direction their hearts leaned. Vanwe was still captive, but Naiore remained elusive and now apparently separated from her daughter. They could no longer hunt both at once.

Turning round he saw Léspheria emerge from the gloom of the cellar. “Where is our hobbit friend?” she asked noticing his absence.

“Ah, it appears Master Longholes has run off and without his reward!” Rauthain said looking over his shoulder, and reaching for his money pouch, which he found missing. “He was with me in the house and had been rather restless at the time, standing in the doorway to watch the yard and blocking its light. No matter, for though a better sentry there could not be, I doubt much that he would think to give warning before saving himself. But his job for us is done, still I think it wise to leave this place before he causes more mischief. Already it seems he has helped himself to my purse, though surely he picked the wrong ranger to rob, for it is heavier with memories than ought else, pitifully small wages for such daring! Nary a gold piece was there, but a fair bit of copper. I shall have to teach Master Longholes to be proper guest next time rides with a ranger for I shall sorely miss my flint and whetstone!” Rauthain sighed.

Then addressing Léspheria, “I think Lady Léspheria, that you would make a right good ranger, for you have found much of interest today, and I dare say you have a courageous heart as well.” A gentle smile rose on Léspheria’s features. “But we must now decide which course to take, to follow Vanwe on the trail we see before us, or to continue after Naiore with no trail. But that is our errand.” Rauthain looked at both of them, his rough face telling of concern.

[ October 24, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]