View Single Post
Old 05-14-2003, 08:09 PM   #110
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Helkahothion's final post, Part one

Anuion had gone the other way. Travelling with Arethin, Jack, Angalos and Jadae made him long for his own father. He met up with his parental house soon enough. He stepped in and found his father hanging a kettle.
"Mind if I join you for dinner?"

"Anuion. What a nice surprise. What have you done this time? You always come here after you have done something dangerous or are wanted by the law enforcers of the Human race. Stole another rabbit?"

"Don't be silly. You know me better than that."

"I heared you brought a human into the forest. He is doing some very odd things."

"Yes, it is the Wanaparma. I went with a group of humans into the mountain and we regained it. He is using the magic to impress the father. He had banished Jack."

"Yeah I know. He is a general of Thranduil. Well, he got on my wrong side when he did that. You should not intervene with love. That Elf can be a real nuisance. He should have been dismissed a long time ago."

"Make sure he does not banish Jack again. I have had a lot of trouble teaching him the ancient tongue of Elvish. He was a fast learner though."

"You thought him elvish? That is quite an achievement."

"Oh please father. Watch you're cooking will you?"

Helkahothion removed the food from the fire before it was burned and urged Anuion to tell him about the search for the book. Through the whole story he was silent. It had been very amusing for Anuion. After dinner he went to bed and Anuion had pleasant dreams, like he always had when he slept at home. The next morning he already had gathered his travelling gear.

"I see you are leaving again?"

"Yes, I don't feel I have said a proper goodbye to the travellers in Dale."

And with these words Anuion stepped out into the sun and headed for Dale.

Aylwen Dreamsong's final post

It had been a little over a year since her great adventure, and Jadae could still remember the moment she had grasped the Wanaparma in her hands. Copies had been made and spread to major healing stations throughout Dale and some in Greenwood the Great...but the original was in the hands of Jack Strife. Few remembered the people who had brought the book home to Dale, but the effects of its discovery were still being felt. Few people even remembered what life was like before the book had been found.

Jadae remembered, though. She would still sit and daydream in her shop between calls and orders, recalling the events that occured in the Mountain. It would have made quite a tale for that old storyteller. That old man was still wandering through the streets telling and weaving his tales and adventures. Sometimes he passed by the corner near Jadae's shop, and the smith would stand, as she always had, entranced by the words he spoke.

Jadae rarely saw any of her former companions. She had seen Angalos once at the loading docks, heaving wine from the Elves onto a great big cart. Anuion and Jack had been absent for nearly six months, after most of the Wanaparma copies had been made. Once or twice she would see a preoccupied Arethin take a moment to listen to the old storyteller's narratives and legends.

On one particular day, one of the old man's fabrications caught her attention unlike it had any other day...except for that day she had heard of the Wanaparma. Jadae dismissed the fealing, but still listened to the tale. Perhaps this is my lot in life. To always be caught in the weavings of tales for which I should have no business in. Jadae thought, feeling foolish for being dragged into another story.

"Jadae! Hello? Middle-Earth to Jadae!" a young man snapped his fingers in front of Jadae's eyes to get her attention. Jadae turned around, mumbling a slight 'Hmm?'

"Those blades need to be sharpened before tomorrow!" The man said worriedly. That was the way the boy was. Always worried about deadlines.

"You're just like Emmy. Go into the candle business like she did. I was only going to show you how to use the sharpener, not let you boss me around in my own smithy!" Jadae complained, wanting to wring the neck of the annoying boy. The temptation soon passed, however, as she caught one last piece of the tale-teller's fable.

I'll always be right here. Listening to children's stories. And the worst part is, I'll still believe in them no matter how old I am. Jadae thought, once again distracted by the old man's story.

Helkahothion's final post, Part two

"You're just like Emmy. Go into the candle business like she did. I was only going to show you how to use the sharpener, not let you boss me around in my own smithy!"

Jadae did not looked please with her new help. Anuion had been listening to the storyteller for a second. It was because of him that Arethin's mother had been cured. Thanks to him, Jadae got word about the book. So when the man was done, Anuion applauded loudly and gave the man 2 gold pieces. Anuion did not bother to look back and walked into the smithy.

A boy stepped up to him and asked him if he could be of service.

"The owner please." Anuion said firmly.

"Jadae, there is a man here to see you. He does not look pleased. I told you, you should pay less attention to that man outside."

"Oh it can't be that bad, I have been working properly and because of that ANUION! What on Middle-Earth are you doing here?"

"Just visiting."

Anuion convinced Jadae to go visit Arethin and they both went out, leaving an angry assistant behind.

"Arethin has started a healing post. They say he is doing well."

"A healer? Well, that is a surprise. I would never think he would use the book." Anuion replied surprised.

As they entered Arethin's practice, they could see his little brother drooling around a woman. It was very obvious that he liked her. The girl on the other hand, was playing hard to get. Jadae and Anuion waited for Arethin to finish with his customer. As he stepped out to see who was next, he was happily surprised. He greeted Jadae in a firm hug and Anuion was not spared. They laughed for a while and Arethin's mother stepped out to see what was going on.

The three had spent the night in Arethin's house and talked about memories passed. Arethin's business was doing well. So was Jadae's. She had so many orders she had to hire help. Anuion did not talk much. What did he do. He just walked around doing what he felt like doing. Being free and independent. As he saw Arethin, happy and cheerful, he felt as if happiness was having a giant victory. Nothing would ever make this man feel sad as long as his mother was alive...

And so, few people would remember that one moment when the Wanaparma was found, and no one might want to think of life without the book. But Arethin, Jack, Angalos, Anuion, and Jadae would still remember.

[ May 15, 2003: Message edited by: Aylwen Dreamsong ]