View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 11:38 AM   #65
Smaug's voice
Newly Deceased

Smaug's voice has just left Hobbiton.
I like the scene in question too.
Probably one of the more touching scenes from the three films. Why I like it even more is because it is such a wonderful compression of the whole closure-of-Gondor arc in the book.
We see Elessar's crowning - and if I may say - Viggo suits the kingly Aragorn really well, even though I prefer his Strider.

We see the re-union of him and Arwen - and with the sweet choral playing in the back and the two looking at each other as if they haven't seen each other in ages - great touch. Even Elrond looks happy! :P Of course, I don't really think the kiss was necessary. Atleast not in the way it was done.

And finally, we see the hobbits getting their due recognition. I particularly like Viggo's delivery here of the concerned line. Which an average actor would have made it sound corny, as it is. I also like Frodo's expression. Visibly moved but also redundant, thinking that in the end he failed in his quest and did not deserve it.
I like the fact that Merry and Pippin were acknowledged as well. They after all did have one of the most significant impacts on the events - killing the Wiki, riding to Isengard, the Palantir (an accident, but still)

I would not have liked the inclusion of "Praise them with great praise!" song here, as while it reads great in the book, it would have been quite cheesy onscreen.

Also, I seem to be the only one, but I really like the bedroom-scene. Having them entering one-by-one is of course impractical but this is one of the cases where I can see what PJ means by "dramatic effect". I think the scene - a silent scene completely driven by music- was meant as a soothing balm, as a relaxation after the harrowing Cirith Ungol, and the torturing walk through Mordor along with the battles.

Besides Frodo's super-awkward laugh, I like everything about this scene - especially the Sam-Frodo look at the end with the Shire music.