View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 02:21 PM   #64
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots Rome wasn't built in a day

Quote:
The Saucepan Man posted:
True. But, when one or a few people are rating at a much higher rate than anyone else, it will "skew" (for want of a better word) the result.
No different, really, than any election in a democracy. Those who choose not to vote lose a chance to influence the results. Rather than skewering the 'skewer' wouldn't it better to prod others to participate? I think it was HerenIstarion's enthusiasm which helped get the system going. Sometimes people are shy of new 'technology' and need to see how it can be used before venturing forth themselves with it.

For my part, I had a very good reason for wanting to rep Esty again so quickly and this was not something which would occur regularly. I had wanted to remember Esty's post which I could not yet rep in particular because of its topic: a reference to her fanfiction about Folco, something that I could not rep any other way. I wanted Esty to know that her 'canonical writing' (as opposed to her 'parodic writing') was being recognised.

Quote:
posted again by Sauce
And I do prefer to spread the rep points that I give around, rather than simply rating the same people again and again (good though their posts generally are).
As do I, especially with the newer members. Once reason why I sometimes look through older threads, in addition to the good reading material they provide, is to find other Downers who might not be participating in "this week's hot topic" but who nonetheless do contribute substantially to the Downs. Especially when there is now such a big spread in 'points' I think it is well to recognise those deserving members who have just joined or who post less frequently. (Note I say 'deserving.' I don't 'spread it around' indiscriminately.)