View Single Post
Old 10-31-2004, 05:18 PM   #65
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bęthberry
No different, really, than any election in a democracy. Those who choose not to vote lose a chance to influence the results.
I totally accept your second sentence. Those who choose not to rep have to accept that others will determine the outcome. But in an election, if you choose to vote then your vote counts as much as any other person who chooses to vote. Whereas our system allows for one or more members to make their votes, and thus their opinions, to count for more by virtue of "energetic" repping.

I certainly agree that people should be encouraged to rep a post whenever they feel the inclination to do so. But I have some reservations about people going out of their way (and being encouraged to go out of their way) to do so. Because, for perfectly valid reasons, not everyone has the time or inclination to do so.

Ultimately, though, I do not have any problems with the way in which the Rep table is developing (how could I? ), and I think that it it is generally a very good and worthwhile system. It is, however, as well to acknowledge that, if certain members tend to rep much more than others, then the results will be skewed towards their tastes.