View Single Post
Old 11-23-2003, 04:36 PM   #172
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Estelyn stood still, holding the slip of paper in her hand. A wave of relief washed over her, and she was aware that her fear for Rimbaud had been greater than she had let herself realize. The message, though terse, was clear enough to her, and knowing that her friend was with the healer reassured her. Yet what was to happen with the Inn? Her thoughts spun in circles, considering and rejecting plans for the future. She registered the scampering of a mouse on the fringes of her attention. Fond though she was of the falcon, she was glad that the little creature had survived. Perhaps that was a good omen for this once so hospitable place.

Suddenly she remembered the face and voice that had been at the window and disappeared at Wyrd’s arrival. Hurriedly her steps took her to the door and she peered out. A woman, unknown to her and not yet clearly to be seen in the twilight of dawn, was stooping down to pick up a basket and its contents. The Loremistress walked over and said, “Can I be of assistance to you?”

The face looked up at her with fearful eyes. “What was that?” she asked, trembling slightly. “Some demon, flying in and out of the Inn?”

Estelyn smiled reassuringly. “You need not fear – that was a falcon, bringing a message for me. He is gone now. Will you not come in and have a cup of tea with me – if I can find some, that is.”

Together they went into the Common Room, then rummaged through stores in the kitchen until they found both tea and a tinder box to light a fire. Shyly, the woman offered her basket, saying, “I have fresh bread – would you like some?”

“Wonderful!” exclaimed Estelyn. “Now we have almost a real breakfast!” When they sat at one of the tables, cradling their cups of tea in their hands and chewing the crusty bread, she spoke again. “Now, if I remember rightly, you were looking for your brother. There is no one here; the bundles in the corner that I first took for people are only old cloaks and blankets left here. Will you not tell me about yourself and your brother and why you are searching for him?”
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'