View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 12:28 AM   #280
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
An Agreement is Reached:

Lotar signaled to Berilac that he needed a moment to think, then walked a few paces ahead and gestured to the others to follow. The small group of outlaws walked to the far side of the grove, still within sight of the bowmen, but far enough away from the Breelanders that they could talk in peace. Several of them stared expectantly at Lotar, waiting for him to indicate what his decision would be. Shaking his head no as if anticipating their request, he hastily explained, “I’ll not make this decision without your counsel. You have been my companions and advisors these past weeks. Now I would hear what you think of the bargain the Breelanders are offering.”

One-by-one, each of them replied: Soran, Kirima, Rudgar, and his own son Kandel, whose counsel Lotar had grown to trust more than any of the others. Each voiced hopes and hesitations similar to his own. Establishing a new settlement with winter coming on would not be easy, but it was a risk that they would have to take. They were heartily sick of bloodshed and would rather struggle against the elements and the hardship rather than to strike another blow against men and women who were villagers just like themselves.

Guthwine stood at the back of the circle saying nothing. The events of the past few months had taken a heavy toll on both the rivals. Guthwine's hair was streaked with grey; his face haggard and worn with continuing worries over his son. Lotar's eyes were weighted down with the responsibility of being a leader and trying to determine what was best for his people. Turning to face Guthwine, Lotar chose his words with care, "What say you? I will not agree without the support of my main counselors. And you are one of these, Gurthwine, Whatever has happened between us in the past, we need to move forward. I'll have my hands full governing this new town. We'll need a force of constables and wardens to keep order and get things settled. I hope you can take the lead with that."

The others listened as Guthwine spoke, “Lotar, you have my word. These Breelanders have treated my son with gentleness, and I would be a churlish man to answer them with a sword. I can not promise that we two will always see eye-to-eye for there are times when a sword is needed. But I do admit that you have the goodness of these folk at heart.”

Now, as to that force of constables…..” Here a hint of a smile played on Guthwine’s face. “We have plenty of young ones with talent as well.” He glanced towards Kandel and Rudgar. “Let’s just hope that we have nothing more serious to do than hauling off partygoers at our new Inn when their celebrations get a little out of hand. We could all use a little peace and quiet.”

Lotar placed his hand on Guthwine’s shoulders, “Aye, with that statement I can agree.”

The Breelanders watched as the small group emerged from the side of the grove. It was Lotar who first signaled his intent to Berilac and the Mayor, “Sirs, we accept your offer of assistance. May there come a time when we can repay the generosity of the Breelanders. And a special thanks to Andreth and Lilac who first came to us in peace.” He turned around and grcefully bowed to the ladies who were standing some ways back.

“Would it be possible for our women and children to return to camp with us tonight?” Lotar added. “ I know their families would appreciate that gesture.”

“I do not see why not,” the Mayor replied. Then he signaled to Telien to have the women and children brought out from the Inn in one or two of the larger wagons so they could reunite with their kin.

Before the outlaws and the wagons finally departed to the encampment in the woods, Berilac sealed the agreement with Lotar, “Tomorrow, we will meet again in this grove. The Breelanders will bring the supplies and see you off on your journey.”

“And you will come?” Lotar pressed.

“Aye, I give you my word.” With that, the two sides parted to prepare for the next day.