View Single Post
Old 02-17-2004, 02:45 PM   #26
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
It's great to see you, Antoine.

Quote:
Really, this is very difficult for me to argument a choice here.
For esthetic preference I prefer Rôg.
It is a very difficult issue. I'm not certain that the addition of a circumflex is sufficiently justified. The trouble is that there's not direct linguistic evidence from later than LT that pertains to the name.

Quote:
I like the new introduction of this poem that agree with "the land of willows".
Do you mean the idea of retaining the beginning of the poem and changing it to present tense? Otherwise the introduction must be deleted, as far as I can see. But changing it to present tense is no easy matter.

Quote:
Just a little detail, there is the word Gods in the sentance
Good catch. I don't necessarily think that every use of "gods" must be expunged (it is said in the Valaquenta that men have called them gods). But I see no particular reason to keep it here. I suggest:

Quote:
When the world reeled in the tumult as the {Great Gods} [Valar] tore the Earth
It seems to be the simplest substitution, and it also preserves the meter exactly.

Quote:
I disagree with this change.

It's look for me like tallest of all except this ... and that ... and we don't count this one ...
Yes, this was my concern as well. But I think that "tallest of all the [living] Children of the World, save Thingol" is significantly better than "tallest of all the Children of the World, save Thingol [and Argon]".

Still, I think you have a point. Perhaps we should just delete the sentence.

Quote:
The last 3 points, I agree but in the futur, when we will work the last chapter, I think it will be good to reopen the problems.
Yes, these three are really concerned more with Earendil than with Tuor.

Quote:
A new PDF version is ready, checked by Maedhros.
I hope I forgot nothing.
A good thing can be a ultimate checking by active members. I can send by email a PDF or a word document.
Fingedil, Lindil, Aiwendil PM me on my personnal mail (cf my account).
Maybe we should wait until these last few minor issues are tied up, then review it (and, I think, send it to some of the semi-active or former members of the project for review).
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote