Thread: Celebrimbor
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #39
Gothmog, LoB
Animated Skeleton

Gothmog, LoB has just left Hobbiton.
Well, I guess the idea would mostly affect the Elessar story in whatever fashion it would be included. I'd propose to just add Celebrimbor being Curufin's son and Feanor's grandson when he is introduced there as a Noldo of Gondolin.

How exactly that turned out to be doesn't have to be explained. I just spun that tale to illustrate that Celebrimbor being Curufin's son is not necessarily contradictory to him living in Gondolin. Granted, it would be nicer to have some grand tale why he didn't swear the oath with his father, uncles, and grandfather, and so on, and how he and Galadriel actually are connected, but we don't need to know any of that to allow Celebrimbor to go to Gondolin.

One could consider including Tolkien's finale note on Celebrimbor's ancestry (Curufin's son, mother remained in Valinor) during the story of the founding of Gondolin. Something like, 'Among them [the Noldor and Sindar going to Gondolin] also was Celebrimbor, Curufin's son, whose mother had remained in Aman.'

The problem with Turgon having issues with Feanor's sons is only problematic for Celebrimbor's abode if we assume he took part in the Kin-slaying and the oath. For all we know he could have been with Fingolfin's host and might have crossed the ice himself. Just because Feanor's sons all jumped on his bandwagon doesn't mean Celebrimbor did the same.

Last edited by Gothmog, LoB; 06-06-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Gothmog, LoB is offline   Reply With Quote