View Single Post
Old 10-20-2004, 03:24 AM   #21
Rimbaud
The Perilous Poet

Rimbaud has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
It’s interesting to note that the two members of the Fellowship who stand by Gandalf till the end are the Men – even Legolas the Elf, who has showed his superior abilities in other situations, cannot stand up to the Balrog.
To go back to this, earlier, point. There is also a later comment from Encaitare on Legolas' fear. I think perhaps I read the Elf's reaction in a different manner - not cowardice, but a deeper understanding of the danger. This is certainly true of Boromir, whose courage in this scene can be seen to overcome his practicality - this is due, perhaps, to a lesser knowledge of the foe they faced. The Elf knew fully how much danger they were in and how unlikely they were to escape unharmed. I also read the passage believing Legolas had some foreknowedge of what would befall Gandalf. Tolkien and Gandalf liberally spread the word through the chapter that bad news is afoot, and one would imagine the Elf to be more finely tuned to such rumblings.

A lesser, secondary point on Aragorn - who may be, we are led to suspect, a greater being in spirit than Legolas in any case. I'm thinking of the scene with Aragorn and the struggle for the Palantir.