View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 PM   #574
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Alright, here I am....with a little bit of time under by belt. Yehaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child
Since Folwren's poster and character both have a lot of experience with horses, she would be the logical one to play this part, but we have to see if she would like to do it. I hope so.
Thank you, yes, I am quite willing to do it. It's something quite exciting and I think Athwen will be willing to do it, too.

Quote:
I have to admit that the slavers would be more likely to follow an attractive woman, seemingly unarmed, with hair flying out in back of her, rather than a battle hardened man.
I think the thoughts in their heads would be more a bad thing than a good thing, but yes, you're probably right.

Quote:
Hmm..... I doubt they would be trying to shoot you. In fact, Imak can give a strict order not to do this. Perhaps he announces that he wants to have the woman taken alive and unharmed, and will give a reward to whoever can do this. This should give the men plenty of incentive to follow close on her heels. So you likely won't be killed by an arrow or sword.
This would definitely be a convenient thing. That was the most that I was worried about. But how will the plan makers (Dorran particularly) guess or expect this? It's not so difficult talking myself into letting Athwen decide to do it, but I can't speak for Tevildo, or what Dorran will think about sending his wife into such a possition.

Quote:
The question is would some of the slavers catch on and pull back their horses and try to follow Athwen instead of surging straight ahead and falling in the tunnel.
If Athwen allowed them to pretty much catch up to her, until they were on her very heels, and pulled up suddenly directly before the tunnel, they couldn't stop their horses in time if they tried. I'm sure that if this happened, someone would end up colliding with her and she'd make a wreck to help with the havoc. It's a dangerous business stopping your horse at the head of a race, but it's liveable, if you're lucky.

Another thing I just realized though was if a horse gets excited and is running as fast as he would be with other horses behind him, he doesn't always stop when asked. It was just today that a horse took off with me and I couldn't stop him for the life of me. I had to bale off.....If Athwen's horse doesn't stop, she'll fall in the tunnel, or swerve...in which case....

Quote:
Could you swerve right or left, and have one to two follow you as you ride out? You'd have to figure out how to deal with these riders..... Maybe coordinate with Tevildo and have him come rushing up to fight the brutes? Or figure out some way to "lose" them? The rest of the slavers would continue straight ahead.
She could turn and run parrallel to the tunneling. I would figure out some way to either lose them or have her knight in shining armor come rescue her. Or I could simply go galloping to where the ex-slaves fighters are. They'd open ranks, allow her in, and shoot down or try to kill and stop the slavers chasing her. Then she'll hop off her horse and go wait for the wounded to come to be tended.

So, what do you think? Does she stop her horse and the slavers charge past her?

Does her horse not stop and she actually fall into the pit?

Or does she turn and get chased some?

If she is chased, my only other worry is that if some slavers could follow her on that turn, all of them could. BUT, if they see the slaves in front of them, maybe only two or three will follow her, the others will make a charge towards them and then fall plump into the tunnel.

And I think that's all I can think of right now..........if I do end up thinking of any more, or if any of you see any holes in my ideas or have more questions, I can always say more and do more thinking.

-- Folwren