View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 02:18 PM   #1
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril Why is it so difficult?

I see this come up a lot, but I don't think there's actually been a thread about it before. Just tell me if I'm wrong.

A lot of people say they find The Silmarillion difficult to read, or that they find it boring, or maybe just less exciting that The Lord of the Rings. (And I know probably just as many people like it more than LotR.)

What is it that makes The Silmarillion more difficult for you (or anyone) to read? What makes it (more) 'boring' (to some)?

I think, in a way, it takes someone who is at least moderately into either history or mythology (or both) to be interested in it. It might be more difficult to read than typical mythology (at least, Greek and Roman mythology, which I am most familiar with - but from what I've read of say, Hindu mythology, I think it's similar in that respect), too, if only because it is so lengthy and in-depth. Greek and Roman mythologies, and I think most others, come in the form of short, entertaining stories, because they were, in fact, written down only after years and years of being told orally, and when stories were told orally, they were meant to entertain, and obviously would have been constructed differently from something that was straight text.

Or is it just that history is boring? (This is being asked by someone who considered being a history major, so watch how you answer.)

Last edited by Durelin; 10-27-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Durelin is offline   Reply With Quote