View Single Post
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 AM   #40
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
I definitely like LotR, Hobbit and the minor works more than the Sil, however I've found it to be helpful to read it with a specific interest in mind. I've recently gone through (= skimmed) almost all of Tolkien's works to find all references to music, and that has shown me interesting aspects. Suddenly there are connections between characters that I didn't see before.

So, if you are not the type of reader to take skip's advice and read it slowly, perhaps you will be able to get through if you read quickly and look for references to your favourite topic - dragons, swords, jewels, parent-children relationships, whatever. At any rate, use a copy in which you can underline interesting passages/quotes, so that you can find them when going back to the book.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote