View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 09:32 AM   #247
Cuthalion
Summoner's Soul Mate

Cuthalion has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Cuthalion
"There comes into every being's life one person with whom the soul meshes seamlessly. Beren and Luthien, Turin and Beleg, there are but two examples of true friendship and love. Arthain is that friend to me. He has been closer than kin, dearer than my own life to me" He spread his hands in pleading gesture. "Aye, it is true I wanted him dead. In my pain, all I could think of was that he had taken her from me out of spite, from jealousy. but when I saw him again, after I was pulled away from him, it came to me that I was only reacting to what my eyes had seen, not to what led to his betrayal of me." Arthain winced at the word "betrayal" and he spoke up.

"What you say is true, outlaw. I should be lying dead now, not standing here in the company of the most loyal friend a man could have. He allowed me to tell him everything that happened, that his betrothed seduced me in my sleep in order to hurt him. she knew this was the one sure and certain way to drive a wedge between us." Vlad noticed that he spoke as one who has more to tell and he wondered what Arthain could be concealing. Both Jaheira and Snyd stood close to him, fearful as to the uncertainty of their fates.

"Thelian, let them go, but keep them under close watch. Come, join us if you will. This is our last meal in camp before we follow the king into battle. You may as well know everything there is to know about us." After a moment's hesitation, Vlad and his cronies came to the fire and sat down while the food was being prepared. He could only look around, his mind on the alert for any chance of escape, as he knew the others were doing also. Melost saw what he was doing and sighed. "Vlad...there is no way that I can correct the misconceptions between us. I can only tell you that the person I have been is not who I truly am. I am in my right mind now and therefore I can only offer what little hospitality I am capable of on the verge of war." He glanced at Arthain, who grinned and nodded. "After you've eaten, take what supplies you need and leave of you will. We go to our deaths. that much seems certain, but you and yours have no need to share in that fate."

Shortly after Melost had spoken, several guards brought to all of them a meal comprising dried venison, some hard biscuits and dried fruit. Vlad grinned fuefully as he looked over the so-called meal. "You ate better with us, Melost! So this is Elven hospitality?" Arthain growled,but Melost only chuckled. "Aye, Vlad. This is all that remains for me to share for you. You must realise, none of us have planned to return." The remainder of the meal was taken up by Thelian, Arthain, Melost and Dorlas telling each other all that had passed in Melost's absence. It appalled him to know how they had all suffered so much because he had succumbed to madness.