Thread: Celebrimbor
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2001, 05:25 PM   #15
jallanite
Shade of Carn Dûm

jallanite is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pile o' Bones
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Celebrimbor in Gondolin

It would of course have been no difficulty at all for Tolkien to reasonably put Celebrimbor son of Curufin in Gondolin, whether recruited by a messenger of Turgon, or going there with Turgon from Vinyamar, having taken service with him because of estrangment from his father (this estrangement now happening earlier).

But our hands are bound.

Assuming Celebrimbor's Fëanorian parentage is retained, the choices for relating the making of the Elessar are, I believe, the following:

***** A. None of the Elessar material is used.

***** B. The Elessar material is used:

*****1. It is not told by whom the first Elessar was made.
************ See an example of this in my last post.

*****2. It is told by whom the first Elessar was made:

************a. The first Elessar was made by Enerdhil of Gondolin.
***************** This account was early rejected by Tolkien, perhaps almost as written.

************b. The first Elessar was made by Celebrimbor:
***************** See example in a previous post by myself in this thread.
***** *******************i. In Gondolin
********************************* But how did this descendant of Fëanor come there?
********************************* No account survives as Celebrimbor not important to main story.
************************ii. Not specified as in Gondolin.
********************************* Remove words &quot;in Gondolin&quot; from first sentence.
*********************************A. Made before Turgon went to Vinyamar.
*************************************** Account placed shortly before Turgon leaves Vinyamar.
*************************************** Perhaps after &quot;... and it became Gondolin, the Hidden Rock.&quot;
*************************************** Include mention that Idril bore it on her breast.
*********************************B. Place undefined and time undefined.
*************************************** As a backflash when describing Idril in Gondolin.
********************************************* or
*************************************** As a backflash just before the gem is given to Eärendil.

None of the above are totally satisfactory, but ...

</p>
jallanite is offline   Reply With Quote