View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #165
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Merignor the Easterling stood in his usual place, high upon the side of a rocky hill across the valley from the place where the elves had delved their cave. The sun was sinking, and soon all of the little valley would be in shadow. Another fruitless watch. He was about to turn and call for someone to fetch the next watchman when movement in the valley below caught his eye.

There was something glowing, shimmering blue and bright in the valley. One of the elf sentries had left his post by the door. Soon the door opened again, and out of it ran a group of elves. He could not be certain, but it looked to be the elf-lord Glorfindel of Rivendell leading them.

Merignor turned and called into the cave to his rear. "Go tell the master something is happening, and that he should come immediately." He turned back to watch the scene below. The elf soldiers were moving off in different directions, leaving the cave, and Glorfindel, unprotected.

Through his bird spies, Sauron had learned long ago that this spot was special to his enemies. Elrond himself and Gandalf even had been spotted here on more than one occasion, and there were always a few elves stationed at the cave, though their purpose had never been discovered. Sauron determined that he should place an outpost here to observe, and if possible, ambush Elrond or Gandalf if they ever came to that place again with few guards.

For the job, he had sent no less than the Witch King himself. He knew the North well, and an attack upon the greatest of foes could not be carried out by any lesser servant.

Merignor was surprised when he was joined by the Witch King in a few short seconds. The message could not have reached him so quickly. "My Lord. There is something going on down below. And that elf, Glorfindel, is there unprotected without his horse."

The Witch King gave his orders swiftly. "Tell the men to prepare for an ambush quickly. My signal will come soon. And have someone bring me my horse immediately."

As Merignor retreated down the passage, the Witch King shivered with anticipation. Finally something had happened. He had waited nearly a year, taking no action. Just watching. Waiting. But the situation had changed, more even than Merignor realized. For even as the portal had opened, his master, Sauron, began to recover his old strength and will. The Witch King had heard his thought clearer than he had in years only moments before, and that is why he was already on his way to the lookout when Merignor's message reached him. Things were moving on a grand scale, and just as his master had long suspected, it appeared that this place was important in some way.

Last edited by the phantom; 04-11-2009 at 10:18 PM.
the phantom is offline   Reply With Quote