View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 03:31 PM   #106
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
"My lords," said Garstan. "We cannot linger here."

"Well spoken!" Eodwine cried. "Thornden, Deren, take these men with you and hunt down Sorn and this Osfrid! I will stay with Garstan."

"But lord-" Thornden started.

Eodwine rose. "You are an Eorlinga! Do the deed! Deren, you lead!"

"Aye, lord!" cried Deren. "Come, men!" He directed Thornden and three men to follow Sorn while he led three others into the House after Osfrid.

Eodwine turned and motioned to the two men who had stayed back with Garstan's and his mounts. They came forward and helped Eodwine get Garstan on his horse. Then Eodwine directed the two men, Eofryth and Grimbold, to circle the perimeter of Sorn's land, starting toward the west, while Eodwine and Garstan and Eodwine circled starting east.

Once they were started at a measured canter over the rolling pasture, Eodwine turned to Garstan. He looked pale but grim and determined.

"Garstan, you trickster, I was supposed to save your life, not the other way about." Garstan tried to grin but managed only a grimace.

"How do you fare? Tell me if you need to stop. We can find a hidden place of safety hereabouts."