View Single Post
Old 09-18-2002, 01:36 AM   #10
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

He moved quickly through the waters this time, the path was now familiar. Levanto turned east just before he reached the mouths of the Siril and swam close along the shore of the southeastern peninsula.

There were numerous caves along the edges, their openings just below the waterline. Some of them looked unused, with silt and rock blocking much of the entry way. But there were others whose entrances were cleaner and smoother in appearance. He did not approach these closely, but only marked their position in his mind to tell Pio.

Once done with this task, he returned to the river and entered it, swimming swiftly upstream. It was evening, now, and night would soon be falling.

He stayed deep beneath the waters until he reached the part of the caves where he was to meet the elders. He surfaced then and hid in deep shadow until darkness had come and he heard them moving down the tunnel.

Phura had come with them this time. Levanto smiled and greeted him. 'No, skulking behind rocks today!' he said grinning. Phura ducked his head, a tinge of pink staining his cheeks. Levanto greeted the elders courteously. He pulled himself up onto the rocky bank, settling in comfortably to hear all they had to say.

They had memorized every detail and now repeated it to him. The numbers of guards each day and each shift; how they were armed; where they were positioned; what kind of men they were; who supervised them. They told him of the hobbit schedules - when the work parties left the caves; what they did; how they were guarded. They left nothing out.

When they had finished, he repeated everything they had said back to them, word for word, and then told them he must go back now and deliver the information.

'When will you come for us?' one of the elders asked, just before he entered the water.

'A fortnight, I think.' he said. 'That will give you time to prepare the hobbits. I will come to you in a week's time and let you know what exactly the plan will be. Then the night before we are to come I will come a final time and stay with you until the rescue is complete.' He looked at them, standing there with hope in their eyes. 'There will be fighting, you understand. All the men here will be killed so that none may bring word of your rescue to any ear. You must be brave, all of you. No panic. Just move quickly to us when we come, and we will take you away from here.'

'One last question, please!' came the low voice of Phura. 'How will you take so many of us?'

'The Elves. The Elves from the West will bring their swan-ships, and Piosenniel will lead them. Now I must get back!'

They waved to him as he disappeared beneath the water. Then hurried back down the tunnel, talking softly and excitedly about what he had said.

Levanto swam strongly, making good time. He would be back before first light to the Star.

[ September 18, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]