View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 07:31 PM   #161
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
"I think that you should be yourself first, and be subject to another second. Your uncle protects you well, Mae, and no road is long when you are in good company. But Mae, I gave this to you, and it is yours to keep. I will not accept a returned gift, I fear," Jesia smiled slyly, looking over to Hearpwine. "Perhaps another will accept it...one who need not fear disobaying Liornung."

Casting her eyes downward to the bracelet, Mae sighed and looked to her uncle. Jesia and Asad followed her eyes to Liornung. Asad could hold his tongue no longer.

"If I may speak, sir Liornung?" Asad requested quietly, and Liornung's eyes shot from Mae to the dark-skinned boy who spoke. Liornung nodded solemnly, refusing to steal another glance at the bracelet. "Sir, I feel that the point to all this is that the luck lies not in the bracelet. It lies inside the person."

"What do you mean?" Hearpwine asked, speaking up and voicing the question that was in everyone's face - even Jesia's.

"I think that a man can believe in luck if he wants...if it gives him more confidence. I feel like that is all luck is - confidence in oneself. Perhaps grandmama only gave the bracelet to instill a sense of hope in Hearpwine and Mae, or at least provoke some sort of thought within them. If this did not happen, then I speak it now in explanation. I do not think she meant it to create such a stir with you, sir Liornung."

Jesia's black eyes twinkled with mystery as she nodded and turned to look Liornung eye to eye. "Some things you catch and learn, others you miss by never reaching out to grab them," Jesia murmured darkly. "And though you may lose your chance, you should never lose the lesson in missing that chance."

If they do not understand her words, someday they will stumble across a fork in some road and think of the old, poor merchant woman with the dark hair and skin. They will remember this day, I hope. Asad thought.