View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 02:55 PM   #165
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
A deep sigh escaped Liornung yet he smiled. "Nothing is amiss, good Osric, or at least I do not believe it to be so." He sat across from the old man, tracing the patterns on the wood. Lights flickered in his mind. All things seemed strange. Since he had encountered the bracelet he had been led to think of deep things, things he did not understand. It brought confusion to him, and wonder, and a deep peace. "I have been considering things very deep, and it strikes wonder in me. Would you care to hear?"

"If you should care to tell me, I would greatly desire to hear," Osric replied.

So Liornung poured forth all he had told Maercwen. He told of his service as Bard of the King, his service in the War, and of the words of the old man Gandalf. Osric listened carefully to all, saying nothing until Liornung had finished. When his tale was done, the fiddler leaned wearily on the table, gazing into Osric's face.

"Sir, you are older than I and I would believe you to be much wiser," he said. "I believe the words of the old man Gandalf are true and that chance is a fool's word. But if it is not chance, or luck, that causes things to happen, what is it? Who could be so powerful in this world as to plan out a man's life and guide things to happen exactly as he planned? I am bewildered."