View Single Post
Old 02-17-2006, 04:14 PM   #6
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

For me, the movies were a completely new experience. I was nearly 14 when the first movie came out, and while I was an avid fantasy reader, LOTR was my first brush with this type of movie (and the only fantasy movie since that I have enjoyed).

I'd already read the books, so it was great to see them put onscreen. I did have a few problems here and there, but over all, I came away pleased from every single one.

There was something more important...At one point, I remember walking up the stairs at school, and just thinking about the movies when it hit me. I remember it so vividly because it was so important. I realized, That's what I want to do! . I wanted to be an actress. Not for fame or anything like that, but because I wanted to make people feel what I felt watching the movie. I'd known that I loved to act, but the realization that it was what I wanted to do with my life is something I attribute strongly to the LOTR movies. I'm 18 now, and still chasing that dream as I head towards college next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elladan and Elrohir
As far as what they did for me on an emotional level, Sam's "There's some good in this world" line totally inspired me. I'm not a person who cries, at movies or at most anything else, but I wanted to cry in ROTK when Aragorn and the Gondorians bow to the hobbits and Howard Shore has the Shire theme going. It was beautiful. For all the complaints we have about the dumb jokes and inappropriate humor in the movies, in the end I think watching them is an emotional experience. It's majestic, it's glorious, it's wrenching, it's epic. It doesn't touch the book, but it's still an unbelievable accomplishment.
That pretty much summed up what I felt, watching the movies (though I do tend to cry more frequently). It really is an achievement. Going into the theater for the first time, I had never felt the kind of sheer power that these movies have. Since then, I have seen precious few movies that have that special something. There is so much power and beauty and emotional truth in these movies that I think some people overlook because they focus on all the little things that might not be so perfect. I'm just incredibly happy with what we got: a truth to the spirit, if not to the letter, of the books.