View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #88
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Silmaril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak
Galadriel55,

I am sorry if I have confused you about putting Curufinwë in the parentheses. Spirit of Fire is a titular name; I was applying this metaphorically to Turin's personality.
F.Y.I.,"Curufinwë" does not mean "Spirit of Fire" at all. It is Fëanor's other name: "Curu (skill, skilful) + Finwë (his father's name).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak
Nerwen,

It is hard for one to really talk to someone who: claims someone is spouting out "pseudo-scientific conjectural association" - when in fact the one with this hasty conclusion, I dare say, has barely ventured into thoroughly testing the claims. Your reply is too soon, judging by this standard.
By "pseudoscientific" I refer to what is to be found at the other end of those links you provided. If you object to the expression, I will change it to "quasi-scientific". That stuff is very, ah, let us say, alternative. Not to mention quite un-testable, at least in the case of the neo-Velikovskyan astronomy links. To be fair, I suppose it might be at least theoretically possible– although the evidence has certainly eluded mainstream science– to prove that the ancient Egyptians were really nuclear physicists. It might also be possible to test some of the claims made for "Etherium", "Aulterra", and the other interesting collections of pills in jars that are being sold at the end of your third link (although it seems the FDA has not seen fit to do so as yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak
Do you honestly even care why 1) Tolkien even dared to associate Gurthang with meteorite? And 2) the multiple associations with blood sacrifice to the blade? I would suggest doing an extensive study of ancient near eastern cosmic ritual with fallen meteorite. Hey, and you even have the Islamic Ka'aba Meccans to speak about their "Black Stone"!
And I would suggest you provide reasonable proof that J.R.R. Tolkien, the author of the text in question, intended these associations– including your latest with the Ka'aba, of all things! I have asked you for this several times now. Unless you can do this, no piece of folklore you invoke can logically support your claim in any way whatever.

Look, Dak, as with tumhalad before you, you're just saying the same thing over and over– while– wilfully or not I couldn't say– misinterpreting or just plain ignoring the points made by others. It is getting more than a little tiresome, and I am at a loss as to what you're trying to accomplish.

Last edited by Nerwen; 03-10-2011 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Added comment.
Nerwen is offline   Reply With Quote