View Single Post
Old 11-09-2003, 08:24 AM   #23
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Saucepan Man, this is a great topic! I am enjoying everyone's posts very much. I for one like both kinds of books, those with ‘mind reading’ and those where I have to read between the lines for characterization. Obviously, since I’m here, I appreciate Tolkien’s way of writing his characters – perhaps because it leaves me more leeway for my own interpretation?!

I would like to break a lance for Aragorn's character. There is one part of the story that has endeared him to me greatly – his relationship to Éowyn. I find his tact and compassion shown in the way he handles a very difficult situation, being loved without returning that love. The fact that he is aware of her intense interest and beginning infatuation soon after their first meeting shows a perception that not every man in a similar situation would have. Later, when he parts from her to pass through the Paths of the Dead, one brief sentence shows us that he does not take her feelings lightly: “Only those who knew him well and were near to him saw the pain that he bore.” Doesn’t that sound like the traditional British way? – Not flaunting emotions does not mean that they do not exist.

The next time the two meet is in the Houses of Healing; what Aragorn says about her shows how perceptive and sensitive he is, and that he lets himself be touched by the emotions of others without losing track of himself:
Quote:
Few other griefs amid the ill chances of this world have more bitterness and shame for a man’s heart than to behold the love of a lady so fair and brave that cannot be returned. Sorrow and pity have followed me ever since I left her desperate in Dunharrow and rode to the Paths of the Dead; and no fear upon that way was so present as the fear what might befall her. And yet, Éomer, I say to you that she loves you more truly than me; for you she loves and knows; but in me she loves only a shadow and a thought: a hope of glory and great deeds, and lands far from the fields of Rohan.
That shows a perceptive insight into Éowyn’s character.

Aragorn is able to acknowledge her beauty and worth without having ulterior motives. Éowyn’s final scene in the book is at her wedding to Faramir. He says: “No niggard are you, Éomer, to give thus to Gondor the fairest thing in your realm!” Then to Éowyn, “I have wished thee joy ever since first I saw thee. It heals my heart to see thee now in bliss.” These passages give a deep look into his character, as I see it.

Another interesting glimpse into an unexpected aspect of Aragorn is shown to us in one of my favourite chapters, ‘The Houses of Healing’. Here we see his sense of humour. First of all, the fact that he is not offended at being called ‘Strider’ by Pippin after being revealed as king, but even takes that name for his royal house, shows humour and humility.

Then, Aragorn manages to see the funny side of his conversation with Ioreth without hurting or belittling her. When her tongue rattles on and on, he says dryly, “One thing is also short, time for speech.” Then, “run as quick as your tongue…” To the herb-master he says. “I care not whether you say now asëa aranion or kingsfoil, so long as you have some.” Granted, these are not thigh-slapping jokes; they need attentive reading, but they crack me up every time!

His generous and considerate nature is also shown in another brief sentence - the King even has a smile and some words for the errand boy, Bergil, who fears that the kingsfoil he brings might not be enough or fresh enough – “It will serve. Stay and be comforted!”

Some pages later in the same chapter, Aragorn encourages Merry to smoke despite his feeling of loss after Théoden’s death. There is such a gentle kindness to his words, then he cracks me up again with this speech:
Quote:
Master Meriadoc, if you think that I have passed through the mountains and the realm of Gondor with fire and sword to bring herbs to a careless soldier who throws away his gear, you are mistaken. If your pack has not been found, then you must send for the herb-master of this House. And he will tell you that he did not know that the herb you desire had any virtues, but that it is called westmansweed by the vulgar, and galenas by the noble, and other names in other tongues more learned, and after adding a few half-forgotten rhymes that he does not understand, he will regretfully inform you that there is none in the House, and he will leave you to reflect on the history of tongues.
That is pure British understated humour at its very best, which is what we should expect of Tolkien as an author; I’m sure not all readers share a taste for it and appreciate it, but I do!

Are compassion, kindness, gentleness and humour less interesting in a personality than struggles and weaknesses??
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote