View Single Post
Old 09-07-2003, 04:54 PM   #92
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Maura greeted Cami at the doorway, encircling her with his arms, as she leaned forward with her head nestled against the folds of his travelling cloak. Her small body trembled as she fought to hold back tears. There were mugs of hot cider set out on a tray that Maura had brought up from the kitchen just a few minutes earlier. While Cami sipped the steaming brew and the aroma of sweet spices wafted through the room, the couple sat down to talk.

"That was Bird come to wish you well?"

"Aye, I've seen little enough of her in recent days. 'Tis a sadness in my heart. I miss her laughter, her wit, even her grumpiness. But now, there's no time to mend that loss."

"And Pio? You saw her?"

"Yes, in the party field under the mallorn, we spoke of how we would never forget each other. I gave her my sketch, the one I finished yesterday, and asked her to share it with Mithadan."

Cami waited for a moment and then spoke, "Is Holly alright? And the boys, and Rose? I didn't think to ask earlier."

Maura gestured towards a small figure with tangled curls tucked in neatly under the bedcovers. "She was already asleep when I carried her to the Inn. Then I said my good nights to the boys and Rose. They are as well as we could hope."

"Even Gamba?"

Maura nodded soberly, "He is worried about what will happen..."

Cami sighed and looked away. She pushed her chair back from the table and approached the bed, bending down to plant a kiss on Holly's brow and then walked towards the window that overlooked the road. She gazed westward in the direction of Hobbiton as distant memories tugged once again at her mind. "I remember when I was little. Bilbo always said it took a brave heart to set out on the road, since you never know where it might lead. I didn't feel that way before, not even on the Star with all those leagues of water behind us, but tonight I understand exactly what he meant."

When she finally spoke again, her face was pensive, almost bleak, without the hint of any smile or tear, "Maura, I'm afraid. I don't know if I can do this. Maybe Gandalf made a mistake when he told me to come to Greenwood."

"No, Cami, I don't believe that, and neither do you. Whatever happens, we will manage. Both of us. We have our people, our families and our memories, our lore and our ability to know right from wrong. Many in this world have far less than that."

Maura paced over to a small bookshelf in the corner removing a familiar volume whose leather cover was stained and torn, showing the wear of many hands. He glanced down at the old treasure and held it out to Cami.

"Here. Take this. It's yours."

"Maura, no. This is Andreth's journal. It belongs on Tol Fuin."

He responded slowly, choosing his words with care. "This trip has taught me many things. About myself, and us, and our people. The hobbits of Tol Fuin have these tales engraved on their hearts. The words of Finrod and Andreth, the stories of the hills of Dorthonion and the mirrored depths of Tarn Aeluin where the stars glitter in the night. My world remembers this, but yours has forgotten. You must take it with you, and remind them."

"Anyways," he added with a slight shrug of his shoulders. "When I come later, it will be waiting for me."

Without another word, Cami tucked the volume inside her pouch, where she'd also packed the dress Bilbo had given her and a few remembrances of the Shire. She fastened the travel pack about her waist and tightened the buckle.

"What shall we do now?"

"Come sit beside me by the fire. We'll watch it burn down until we fall asleep." He sat cross legged as Cami stretched out on the rug, curling her body about the pack and resting her head in his lap. They both looked on in silence as the tiny tendrils of red-blue flame gradually faded and died, falling into golden embers.

"Maybe I could stay awake forever? Never go to sleep," Cami stared at the glowing remains in the grate still propped up on Maura's knee and stifling a yawn with difficulty.

He glanced at her and laughed. "I think Lorien might have something to say about that."

"I suppose so. But he has nothing to say about the few minutes we have left here. At least, I do not see him in this room."

They drew together in playfulness and affection, and then sat in silence for a spell, each listening to the other's heartbeat. Maura was the first to sense the shimmering curtain of silver mist descending on their heads. Cami looked up in surprise and caught the glimmer of recognition in her husband's face, as he softly murmurred, "It has come."

He watched as Cami's eyelids fluttered, opening and closing, then closing for a final time, her body still warm and quiet within his embrace. Engraving the image upon his heart, he frantically struggled towards consciousness for one last time, vainly attempting to extricate himself from the tangled threads of Lorien's silken web.

Just before the mist enveloped his mind, a final plea took shape flying towards the stars, "For her....let us be together. For her and for our family. And if there is a price to pay in this life or beyond, I will gladly pay it."

Then the curtain of sleep dropped over the Inn, and all within were silent. Only silver ash remained in the grate and slivers of shimmering moonlight reflected off barren walls.

[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]