View Single Post
Old 01-18-2004, 12:34 PM   #11
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I've got to say that I find it hard to really bother about the Oscars RotK wins. Sure, it'd be great if PJ wins best director and RotK gets best film, but other than that it's not hugely important. Why? Well for one, the Oscars are a political, corrupt and ridiculous affair anyway- that's why they were so scared of Moore last year- and I don't think PJ himself really cares if he gets Oscar recognition (Nor, I would think, do most of the cast). The Golden Globes and BAFTAs are still reasonably pure, so those mean more, I feel. As an aside, there was a quote I read which said Christopher Lee would resign from his seat in the Academy if RotK didn't win Best Picture. Fairly sure, then.<BR>Secondly, in 20 or 30 years time when my kids want to stay up and watch a great movie, I'm not going to go and get the one with all the Oscars (Titanic), am I? I'm going to go and get what is genuinely a great film. Everyone whose seen RotK knows it's amazing- isn't it slightly insulting to say it needs to clean up at the Oscars for them to know that? Great films- trully great films- survive whether awarded or not. The Lord of the Rings trilogy are great films.