View Single Post
Old 04-05-2004, 11:16 AM   #2
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Himaran’s post

The sea was like nothing I have seen before, since my journey to the bay of Belfalas in 1294. It was an incredibly wide expanse of water, and the mountains to the north gave it a majestic appearance. The waves tumbled against the shore, and from whence they came I had little knowledge. But the most amazing aspect of Rhûn’s sea is the great body of sparkling lights which shine near its bottom - not pearls, but perhaps a new rock form. If it were so, it could be worth more than mithril, as it could only be found in one remote area throughout middle-earth.

Of Rhûn’s its inhabitants, I have seen only tracks, which I have painstakingly recorded. I for one met neither man nor beast on my travels, but I have traversed only a small portion of this strange land. It is hard country to say the least, and it took all of my skill and wit to navigate it.

“So you and your brother intend to go through with it?”

Bali the dwarf looked up from the his book, The Diary of Baren Longhelm, finding the gaze of his father set upon him. “Aye, that we do.”

“And how many will to be taking with you?”

The dwarf set the book down and stood, stretching his arms and neck. He took several prolonged gulps from a glass on the table near him before answering. “About eight; all good travelers and fighters. We couldn’t justify taking a larger group; as we are not going on a mining expedition.”

The elderly dwarf walked over to a window in the Ereborian chamber, which faced the southwest. “Rhûn. The hidden land, filled with riches far greater than those which have been mined from the Iron Hills; as the legends say. You and Dwalin must be careful, Bali. We have heard naught of anyone living there; or if they are friendly.”

Bali looked down at the book he had been studying. Baren Longhelm had been a great traveler, and had journeyed to ever corner of Middle Earth. Rhûn had been his last venture, and when he returned to civilization he had died shortly thereafter. The cause of his death was unknown.

“We will be careful, father. And remember, Dwalin is leading the party, not I. He asked me to go with him, and I could not refuse. We have our maps, and can travel both there and back safely enough. And of course, we have several excellent dwarves traveling with us, and if Baren did not meet any inhabitants, neither will we.”

~*~

The next morning was hot and hazy, typical of a summer in Erebor. Bali rose and dressed, hurrying downstairs for the meal. He spoke with other members of the group, who were saying goodbye to friends and family in the hall. They all agreed to leave by noon.

After the meal, Bali returned to his room and chose his weapons. Lifting the heavy Ereborian axe off its hanging place on the wall, Bali patted the sharp blade fondly and set it with the rest of his bags. Snatching several throwing hatchets from the closet, he attached them to his leather belt. Then, opening a small chest, he removed his prize weapon; a long, beautiful elvish knife encased in a magnificent golden sheath. It had been given to him by an elf from Greenwood many years before, and the dwarf threw it perfectly. Strapping it on his belt, he gathered his things and carried them down to the hall.

Dwalin was already there, greasing the exit hole on his crossbow. Bali eyed it nervously, unconsciously feeling the scar across his eye. It had been received by one of his brother’s arrows, which had been released from the weapon accidentally.

The dwarf looked up from his task, setting the bow aside. “Good, I am glad that you are ready. As soon as the others arrive, we can discuss our route and leave.”

“Do you much knowledge of the region?” Bali blurted out. The question had been bothering him since early that morning. “It is not wise to walk blindly into a new land.”

Dwalin looked down at a map spread out on the table; now covered with lines and scribbled writing. “The map shows clearly where the region lies, and even gives us details of its properties. See here? Mountains, and just south of there a forest. And here is the great sea. But remember, we may be the first group of adventurers to enter Rhûn. Do not think it odd that there are no detailed maps of this strange sea and its surroundings. Just imagine it, Bali; whether or not the mountains carry anything beyond iron in their roots, there is a sea. A sparkling ocean filled with pearls, worth greater than mithril itself!”

“That is one dwarf’s wild estimation, Dwalin; there may be little truth to these… legends.”

The gleam did not leave the young dwarf’s eye as he continued. “They are true, Bali - I assure you.”

Bali shrugged, sitting down at the table. It would be useless to try to convince Dwalin that the great riches thought to be at Rhûn could be nothing more than a myth. But the dwarf knew that his brother was set on finding treasure in a new land; and after all, maybe there was some truth to the legends. Either way, Bali was going, and so he pushed the worry to the back of his mind and waited for the others to arrive.